Okmulgee, Oklahoma law prohibits making any lewd or indecent proposal to a child; the law also prohibits lewd or indecent acts with children.
The statute is entitled Lewd or Indecent Proposals or Acts to a Child Under 16. This is a catch-all statute to enable prosecution of all types of sexual acts with children that are not covered elsewhere in the law.
There are some acts such as rape and pornography that are explicitly prohibited in other state statutes. This law is drawn more broadly and attempts to catch those acts not specified in other laws.
FAQ: Indecent Proposal to a Child in Okmulgee
The law was designed as a catch-all statute to make sure that all the legal holes in Oklahoma statutes were covered. As a result, the law encompasses a number of actions and scenarios.
The law explicitly prohibits certain actions. You may not:
• make any indecent or lewd proposal or solicitation of a child for sexual purposes. This includes chatting online, texting, or solicitation of any kind;
• look at, touch, or feel the private parts of a child under 16 years of age in any lewd, indecent, or sexual manner;
• ask or invite a child under 16 to any secluded, remote, or secret place, with the intent to commit any sexual crime against them;
• expose your own or someone else’s body parts to a minor;
• in any lascivious manner or for sexual gratification: urinate or defecate upon a child, ejaculate upon or in their presence, expose, force, or require a child to look at any part of another person’s body or any pornographic materials, make a child watch sexual acts, or make a child touch themselves or another in a sexual manner. (Okla. Stat. tit. 21 § 1123)
Penalties are Severe
Making a lewd or indecent proposal to a child is a felony in Oklahoma. If you are convicted, you could spend three to 20 years in prison.
If the child is under 12 years of age, then the penalty is even more severe — at least 25 years in prison.
A third conviction under this statute means imprisonment for life without parole.
Likewise, any three convictions of this statute in combination with sexual child abuse will subject you to life in prison without parole.
Free Consultation: Okmulgee Criminal Defense Attorney
If you or a loved one needs to speak with an Okmulgee criminal defense attorney about a charge of making a lewd or indecent proposal to a child in Oklahoma, call 918-756-9600 now for a free consultation.
Or, enter your legal question or concern in the form at the top right of this page, and one of our attorneys will promptly return your message.